Thursday 26 April 2012

Bajan Fish Cutter Sandwich

Today I attempted to find the secret of the famous Fish Cutter Sandwich, loved by everyone who has ever visited Dave's Shack at Pebbles Beach in Barbados.


Flying Fish is often used for this Fish Burger, but I know Dave's Shack uses whatever is freshly caught. So I did the same. At my Fishmonger I got the freshest fish that would also fit nicely into a Burger Bun. Today it was Plaice Fillets. Tilapia or Snapper would be good, as would any firm white fillet of fish, really.
Not a fan of Fish? I will make one for my flatmate Chris, who doesn't like fish and I use a chicken breast instead, prepared the same way. Just like they do at Dave's Shack a simply fried Egg will make a great Cutter Sandwich, too.


Ingredients:
2 Firm White Fish Fillets
1 tbs Plain Flour, seasoned with Salt, Pepper,
Thyme and All Spice Powder
Tomato Slices
Cucumber Slices
Lettuce Leaves
Salt Bread Buns (or Burger Buns)
Bajan Hot Pepper Sauce
Oil for frying
Mayonnaise




Heat a large Frying pan and drizzle with enough oil to just cover the surface. Dip the Fish fillet into the seasoned flour and lay away from you into the pan to fry.
Depending on their thickness they need about 2-4 minutes each side. A nicely browned and slightly crispy edge will give it an extra nice flavour.


Meanwhile prepare the Buns, by cutting them in half and squeezing or spreading a little Mayonnaise on each side. Place on one side a Lettuce leaf, Tomato and Cucumber slice.
Once fish is done that can go on the other side and now the most important part of all...
Drum roll....
Generously slather the Bajan Hot sauce all over. Well ok, if you can't eat too spicy, then just a few little drops will do. But I have now realised that the Magic of this Burger is the Hot sauce. Not any kind, but the Bajan Hot Sauce.
One final thing, I enjoyed my Fish Cutter and I'm looking forward to having another one tomorrow, but mine hasn't a chance against Dave's Shack, not even close.
I guess I just haven't got the whole experience to offer. No Blue Sky and Sea and Yachts and Banks Beer and old fashioned Coca Cola Glass Bottles... or is it just the Bajan Spirit that's missing here.
I have to admit defeat and the secret of the possibly best Fish burger in the world will remain one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...